Columbus State University Print Logo


What is ROTC?

A unique college elective whose credits earned goes toward your diploma. When you graduate with a four year degree, you'll receive a diploma and a commission as a Second Lieutenant (2LT) in the United States Army with a starting salary of close to $45,000 on active duty.

What are my commitments?

For those entering CSU, you do not have any commitments with ROTC (unless you have a ROTC scholarship). You can take ROTC classes during your freshman and
sophomore years to see if ROTC is for you. If you decided that ROTC is not for you, then you are not obligated to join the Army.

What types of scholarships are there?

There are two, three, and four year scholarships available with which you can receive 100% coverage of your tuition and fees OR your room and board.
Additional Assistance (You must be contracted and/or a scholarship recipient):

  • Monthly Stipend (Freshmen-$350, Sophomores-$400, Juniors- $450, and Seniors-$500)
  • Book Stipend ($600/semester)

How do I apply for a scholarship?

  • Must be U.S Citizen
  • Score a minimum of 920 on the SAT (math/verbal)
  • Score a minimum of 19 on the ACT (excluding the required writing test scores)
  • Maintain a 2.5 GPA
  • Must be 17-27 years of age
  • Pass a health physical exam
  • Pass Army Physical Fitness Test

As a freshman, what should I do now?

Complete the basic course requirements by:

  • Taking Military Science MSAL 1215 Classroom and MSAL 1215 Lab for Fall
  • MSAL 1216 Classroom and MSAL 125 Lab in the Spring
  • MSAL 4419 physical training each semester
  • Attend a 5 week Leadership Training Course (LTC) during the summer of your sophomore.

What happens in my junior year?

  • Decide if ROTC is for you. You must meet all the requirements and then you will have the opportunity to contract with Army ROTC
  • Take Military Science classes each semester along with Physical Fitness class
  • Go to Cadet Leadership Course (CLC) at the end of your junior year

What happens in my senior year?

  • Take Military Science classes each semester
  • Maintain Height and Weight
  • Maintain the Army standards to pass a Physical Training Test (APFT)
  • Commission as a Second Lieutenant upon your graduation

What ROTC classes count towards my degree?

The grade you earn in any Military Science classes counts towards your GPA. You may use your Military Science classes as an elective credit. MSAL 4419 (Physical
Training) meets the requirements for Physical Education Service Program (PEDS).

What if I have already finished my undergraduate degree?

Graduate students can still apply and have graduate school paid for with scholarship opportunities.